Muscogee Baptist Church
The 1897 minutes of Elim Baptist Association record that all small church was organized in the milling town of Muscogee. Listed as a mission station, it was supplied by Rev. Jean Vane, missionary, and gave $17.50 in offering that year.
In September 1903, with Rev. J.A. Abbott of Cottage Hill as pastor, the church joined the Pensacola Bay Baptist Association. By 1904 Muscogee baptism Church reported 34 members, and Robert Henderson was clerk. The 1906 data included a Sunday School with 23 enrolled. W. Frank Moore of Roberts was pastor, and Teno Martin Henderson of Muscogee was clerk.
Joe A. Walker was clerk from 1907-1909. Pastor Moore enrolled in seminary (with a $100 gift from the Pensacola Bay Association), and Rev. Abbott returned in 1908.
Membership increased to 65. Sunday School flourished during those years. The Pensacola Journal cited on October 9, 1909 that much success was due to the ability, faithfulness, and untiring efforts of the school's superintendent, William C. Lott, a lumberyard manager for Southern States Lumber Company. Flags for each of the eight classes were made by his wife, Lena, a seamstress.
In 1910 Franklin M. Henderson served as clerk. W.B. McClary of Century was pastor in 1912, and O.A. Mullens of Muscogee was clerk. Messengers to the Pensacola Bay Association meeting were Lyman Nellums and Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Tompkins. The death of Franklin M. Henderson was reported.
The last report of the church to the association was 1913. Forty-four members were recorded.
Written by Judith Richbourg Jolly for The Heritage of Escambia County, Florida 30 October 2001
Sources: Records of Elim and Pensacola Bay Baptist Associations; Pensacola Journal