The old Muscogee Cemetery was once an important part of a thriving town.
The town is now gone (see Muscogee story), and the cemeteryy except for one small section on the east side, has fallen into disrepair.
Southern States Lumber Company operated the mill town from 1889 through the late 192Os, and many graves reflect the families of those employees.
Prior to that, however, as early as the 1860s, families settled in Muscogee.
Many men worked for Southern States' predecessor, Muscogee Lumber Company.
Though published records indicate burials as early as the late 1880s, family researchers conclude that gravesites marked only with mounds of iron rocks, a native stone, date to the early 1870s.
Impressive monuments once stood surrounded by decorative iron fencing, but neglect and serious vandalism beginning in the 1980s have left little of those memorials. It vas said by local residents that many headstones, once broken, were thrown into the adjacent Perfidy River.
The cemetery was surveyed and published in Rural Cemeteries in Escambia County, Florida 1826-1950, the earliest known record of Muscogee's burials. Surnames include Richbourg, Nellums, Taylor, Nelson, Cooper, Mudge: Henderson, Mullins, Hardy, Vaughn, and Merritt.
To locate the cemetery from U.S. Highway 29 in Cantonment, drive west on County Road 184/Muscogee Road 4.7 mites to River Annex Road (junction of County Road 99). Turn right. Drive .7 of a mile (just beyond the railroad tracks) to the unmarked clay/dirt cemetery entrance on the left. Several hundred yards beyond is the cemetery (cannot be seen from River Annex Road).
Submitted by Judith Richbourg Jolly, Pensacola, FL
April 2000 (The Heritage of Escambia County, Florida)