The Muscogee School was built in 1908. The new building replaced the old frame building and was located on a higher elevation than the first because of flooding brought about by the rising of the Perdido River.
Here is an old photo of that frame school taken about 1907.
The first girl on the left second row is Nell Mullins.
The last girl on the right second row is Virginia “Jennie” Merritt.
Photo added by Webmaster.
Most of Muscogee School's students came from the families of the mill workers associated with Southern States Lumber Company and related support businesses.
The 1926 school year closed March 26, and the ten students who graduated from the eighth grade were Lois Bowman, Eloise Kittrell, Elsie Pierce, Eugene Weatherford, Inez Williams, Bernice White, Dennis Bradley, Earl Dickman, Ozier Nellums, and Walter B. Vaughn, Jr. Miss Vivian Howell was principal, and she presided over the graduation program which included a commencement address by Rev. Gretherage. Following a song sung by the eighth grade class, a solo was presented by Lois Bowman.
Eugene Weatherford and Bernice White followed with recitations. Superintendent William Tyler then gave the graduates their diplomas.
Muscogee School operated as late as 1940. The last students were children of WPA workers.
Written by Judith R. Jolly, Pensacola, FL for The Heritage of Escambia County, FL
Sources: School Records; The Pensacola Journal